How to connect your file server to vBoxxCloud?
vBoxxCloud allows you to cloud-enable servers and essentially map(sync) any folder on a registered machine to either a Team Share or User Account in the vBoxxCloud cloud. Benefits of this feature include:
- Keep your existing directory structure while maintaining them synced with the cloud
- Users with mapped drives pointing directly to the file server can access the cloud storage when they are not in the office
- No more need for VPN or FTP to access the files
- File-level backup of your file server
- Create an alert so that you receive a notification when a File Server Enablement machine is unreachable. This way you will proactively monitor the state of a file server syncing to the cloud.
- Careful when reorganizing organizations and sub organizations while File Server Enablement is active. File Server Enablement mappings may break when moving a location of a team share.
- When registering the desktop client to a user account on the server, we recommend that you create a dummy account. The dummy account should not be subscribed to the Team Share that you want to map. It should be set to use a fixed space quota of .01GB. It should also use a predetermined name system. (First Name: File Server; Last Name: LDAP)
- Once a folder is mapped, none of its children can be mapped (map children first for nested relationships)
- One folder cannot be mapped to two User Accounts or Team Shares on one machine
- Two folders cannot be mapped to the same User Account or Team Share on one machine
- Mapped source folders including of its subfolders and files require the "SYSTEM" user name to have the following NTFS permissions in order to sync: "Read & execute, List folder contents, and Read or Full control" (screenshot included at bottom of this article).
Let's make the local server ready!
Let's start mapping!
5) A 'Map folders' button will appear in its place. Click the 'Map folders' button to continue:
6) You will be taken to a page that shows your machine's folders on the left (click the machine to expand):
7) Selecting a folder on the left will bring up a box on the right which will allow you to map that folder to an existing User or Team Share:
The folder on the local server will show if the folder is Synced.
You can disable mapping between the file server and the Team Share / User Account. The already mapped-files and folders will remain in both location, but no longer linked.
To disable mapping:
- In the Machines tab, search for the File Server Enablement machine and click the Enable Mapping link.
- Click the Delete button to remove the mapping.